Wednesday 23 August 2017

Top 5 Wednesday 8 | Books from Before I Started Blogging


Hello, everyone! It's been a while since I last posted because I went on a trip to Mallorca with my friends from school. It was awesome catching up, but unfortunately I did not plan ahead, so I missed some post over here!

Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group created by Lainey and now managed by Sam in which members a given a different literary topic each Wednesday of which we have to state our top 5 about. This week's topic is...

Books from Before I joined ...  

I chose to write about my top 5 of the books from before I started my blog :) I started my blog 2 years ago, but before that, there had been some years in which my reading habits had become somewhat hindered by the more overwhelming stuff going on in my life - moving to a whole new country with different living schedules, the discovery of TV shows, etc. Thus, some of the books in this list will be those I read when I was 12 to 15 - which, let's face it, were the years when I was most successful with the books I chose to read... There are also 

It's genuinely been really hard to choose only 5! In fact, I think this has been the hardest T5W I've written so far... Let's not forget I've only been blogging for 2 years, but I've been able to read for so much longer than that!


Precious Stone trilogy - Kerstin Gier

I've talked about this trilogy before. It is fantasy YA, and it follows a girl named Gwyneth who discovers that she can travel through time. It wasn't supposed to be her the one with the gift, but her cousin Charlotte, who's been training for it for her whole life. Gwyneth now finds herself helpless, expected to do things she doesn't believe herself capable of. I  read this trilogy when I was 14 or 15, and I still remember some things I learnt about the Rococo art style :P 

Memorias de Idhún trilogy - Laura Gallego

I feel like I've talked about this series so many times already! It is another fantasy, YA trilogy; this time with magic, dragons, and all type of fantastical creatures. It is about love, friendship and doing what's right. It is one of those series in which the first book is awesome, but the third one is even better! I just loved this trilogy. Full-on page-turners. Fantastic! Unfortunately, although this series has been translated to so many languages, none of them is English...

Memories of the Eagle and the Jaguar series -  Isabel Allende


I remember I had to read City of the Beasts for school when I was in grade 7, and I loved it. My mum is a fan of Isabel Allende, and she bought my sister and me the following books in the series, which we all loved. It's about a boy named Alex who goes on an adventure with his grandmother and the National Geographic team to the Amazonas, in search for the Yeti of the Amazon, or the Beast. There she meets Nadia, and together they discover thousands of secrets the area hides. Honestly, I don't remember much about the story, but I do remember I loved it! 

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss


Oh, what to say from this wonder that hasn't been said already? This one is adult, medieval fantasy, and I will describe it to you just the same way I told a friend of mine who decided to read it and (of course) ended up loving it: it is about a man named Kvothe who did great things when he was younger. A long time has now passed, and he's changed his name and his identity, becoming somewhat a legend. One day, a scribe comes into the modest tavern he now runs in a small village, claiming he knows who he is, but that he won't rat him out - he just wants to write his story. And so Kvothe agrees to one thing: he will tell his story start-to-end or not at all, and he will do so in no more and no less than three days. Each book in the trilogy is one of those three days. This is the book I've re-read more times in my life, and is and will always be the one I will tell people to read when they ask me for book suggestions. This means, if you haven't read it, I don't know what you're doing with your life. Just read it.  

Inkworld Trilogy - Cornelia Funke

I loved this series when I read it back in grade 8. It is also a fantasy YA, and it follows a girl named Meggie whose dad has the ability to bring fictional characters from books to life. This series a fantastic page-turner. The writing is wonderful, and the story is beautiful. I'd go buy it right now if I were you ;) 


Because this was a specially hard list to make, I think the following books deserve a special mention:

Delirium trilogy - Lauren Oliver

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón


And these are my top 5 (or 7) of the books I read before I started blogging! I'd love to know what books you've talked about for this week's topics :D Leave me a link down below so I can have a look!


Happy reading!



Previous T5W post...


6 comments:

  1. I have The Shadow of the Wind on my tbr. I'm really hoping to get around it before the year ends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I actually got a new copy of it for my birthday because the one I read wasn't even mine. I'll be reading it soon too, so let me know and we can buddy read it!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Cova! I only read "The Name of the Wind" recently- it's such a good book! :)
    I read the first two books of "Inkheart" and I remember enjoying the first one a lot more than the second ... so I never reached for the last one, which I slightly regret...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ada! The Name of the Wind is AWESOME! And I read Inkworld so long ago I couldn't tell which ones were better than the others, but I do remember I loved the trilogy very much :)

      Delete
  3. Name of the Wind sounds interesting and very familiar. And I remember Inkheart! I've never read the book but I've seen the movie at least once or twice. Cool list!!

    You commented on my T5W so I'm just returning the favor ;) http://poemsbyayoungartist.blogspot.com/2017/08/t5w-top-5-wednesday-books-from-before-i.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the movie, but the book is certainly fantastic! Thanks for stopping by, Dani!

      Delete

I'd love to read your comment!