Sunday 25 December 2016

Cova Reviews | To All The Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Hann


Hey, guys! First of all, Merry Christmas everyone! I have been away for some time due to my finals, but I am back to say goodbye to 2016 :D Today I bring to you a YA, contemporary novel by Jenny Han - To All The Boys I've Loved Before (the first of the to-be trilogy To All the Boys I've Loved Before). I hadn't heard a lot about this novel, but what I'd  heard was great, so I (wrongly) decided to pick it up just before my exams period. I started listening to the audiobook, but then I just really wanted to know what was going to happen next quicker than the audiobook would let me and I picked up the e-book. I absolutely loved this novel! But let's just get right into the details :) 

To All the Boys I've Loved Before is about a girl named Lara Jean who has the habit of writing a love letter to every boy she likes when she stops liking them. She keeps them in a box, and never sends them -it's just so she can move on, like a good-bye letter. The thing is that one day, the letters are somehow sent to the boys, and her secrets exposed.

I found this book to be hilarious and so entertaining. Honestly, I am not the biggest fan of contemporary (though everything I seem to read lately is contemporary :/) because, at the end of the day, I guess the things you can make your characters do in a contemporary read are quite limited to reality. So I think it is really hard to make a great contemporary book (if you know of any, please do leave me a comment about it). However, I think Jenny Han did a terrific job. The story about the letters is just so unique, and what comes from it is just awesome! 

I'd heard this book had a slow start, but I guess it is different when you listen to the audiobook because it takes so much more time to listen to a book than to read it directly. However, I did notice this only by the fact that I was 1 hour into the story and nothing had really happened yet. I was surprised when I realised, because I wasn't bored in any way by the introduction, though it was a fairly long one. Anyhow, just after the first hour is when the story really begins.

The characters are amazing, and are so well crafted. Lara Jean's family is just so cute, and every person in it so different from the rest. You really get to know the main characters, and some of them do surprise you. It's funny that the author does cover quite a range of current topics that would matter to a teenager nowadays, and she makes it feel so real. However, what I think made me really love this book is how Jenny Han is able to make you feel the love scenes as if you were actually in them. It is so real, and so perfect! There are a few that you'll want to be re-reading every so often 😍 I could live for scenes like those...

The book is easy to read, and over all I think it makes a fantastic YA, contemporary. I finished it right at the beginning of my exams and I really had to fight not to pick up the next one (which I've finished in two days hehe). I am so glad I picked this one up, because it made me so happy :) For all this, I think it deserves 5 out of 5 stars :) I think it is a first contemporary book I ever give a 5/5 to?

Also, because I kept swapping from reading format to audiobook, this book is part of my 2016 Audiobook Challenge, which I'm surprisingly smashing! :D

Have you read To All the Boys I've Loved Before? Are you excited for the third book that's coming May 2017? I honestly can't wait!!

Don't forget to follow me on any of the available social media!


    


Happy reading!


If you'd like to try this audiobook or any other one for free, you can follow the link below and get two free audiobooks plus 30% off any other audiobook you may like - a month's Audible membership trial, all free of charge and you can cancel at any time! I'll get a small something is you use my link :)


If you liked this book, you might also like...






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comment!