Sunday 16 July 2017

Mini Review | Six of Crows, by Leigh Bardugo | 2017 Diverse Reads Challenge

Hello, everyone! I know I'm super, super, super late for this, but here's my mini review of the book I was supposed to read in March for the 2017 Diverse Reads Challenge! I hadn't had the chance to even read Six of Crows before last month because of the amount of ARCs I had to read (which, by the way, I was also late for). I had this challenge surprisingly well-planned, but I think it's pretty obvious I am not good at following my reading plans through! Anyway - it's summer now, and I do plan on getting back on track during the following months, so hopefully I'll be all set for September!

This will be a mini review because Six of Crows is the first book in a YA, fantasy duology - the second part of which I will be reading soon. I will post a full review for the two books once I finish the second part :)

This book falls within March's topic:

Disability

because its main character (Kaz) has a limp.  

"Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first." (Goodreads)

I loved this book. I found the plot to be awesomely unique and appealing -the book is definitely a page-turner. It is full of great action and great writing. I also really enjoyed the way the story was told to me. Overall, a great experience.

The characters are just superb; I love how distinct and unique they are - both from each other and from any other characters I have ever read of. I am unconditionally in love with Kaz - what an interesting character we have here! I think he is a big part of what made me love Six of Crows. It may be his mysteriousness, his intelligence, his feelings... I don't know, but I do know he is an outstanding character! In general, the development of the main characters was just great. 

I was afraid Six of Crows might be too hyped, but it really is not. It deserves every bit of the attention that has been given to it. I doubtlessly recommend it - I have already bought the second book in the duology and am planning on reading it really soon!

I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars, and I think it marks the end of a period of bad luck with books! 


Do you recommend any other books including characters with a disability? I would love to know!


Happy reading!



If you liked this book, you might also like...




Follow Wonderful Literature! 

Google+     Bloglovin'    Goodreads    Twitter


4 comments:

  1. this book has been sitting on my shelf for so long. i've read nothing but praises for this series. i'll have to pick it up as soon as i'm in the mood for a fantasy read. great review, Cova!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Czai! It was in my TBR for too long as well, but it should have not! Hope you love it when you do pick it up :D

      Delete
  2. Hey :) Found you blog through Twitter! AND OMG YOU LOVED SIX OF CROWS!! Me too! I recently finished buddy reading it with a friend and I'm yet to write a review :) But yes SoC was definitely unique! As for books with disabilities, Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis has an MC who can't speak and another MC who can't walk...it's also extremely diverse in many other ways! Definitely worth checking out :)

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Uma! It's so good! I'll be reading the next one really soon. Wow thanks a lot for the recommendation! I'll check it out right away 😃

      Delete

I'd love to read your comment!