Monday 19 October 2015

100 followers on Twitter & Thoughts on the Fifty Shades Trilogy - E.L. James

WE'VE REACHED 100 FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER!!


I just checked the page's Twitter account and discovered that there is already 100 of you following @W_Literature!! I am so grateful to you all, and to celebrate this fantastic achievement, I've decided to do a post of some very famous pieces of literature. 

Here's to reading!


So I read this ultimately famous erotic series at the very start of the summer, and as I recently saw someone's review of the books, I figured I would do the same, just to let you know what my thoughts were. It is a very polemic series, and without further ado, let's get started!

First of all, I will admit that I had no idea what the books were about before I started reading the first one, Fifty Shades of Grey. I just wanted to know what was it that attracted millions and millions of readers, and if the books were actually any good. So let me start by explaining a bit what the story behind the whole erotic thing is about. 

Senior college student Anastasia Steele steps in for her sick roommate to interview the owner of one of the most successful companies in the world, Christian Grey, for an article for the college newspaper. She is clumsy and shy, and hardly had any relationships in her whole life, but still something makes the billionaire feel surprisingly attracted to her, and soon she sees him everywhere. What she doesn't know is that the mysterious, utterly handsome businessman has some quite difficult and unusual habits with the girls he meets. 



In terms of story appeal, I think the book is quite good. It does make you keep turning those pages, which is the ultimate goal of writing a book. You keep wanting to know how the story between Ana and Christian comes along (or at least I did). It was a bit tough to go through some parts though, and I did skip a few paragraphs.

Also, in terms of writing I would say this series is, simply put, quite awful. It's not just the expressions the narrator (Ana Steele) uses constantly, such as "holy cow", which I don't really mind because everyone has a sentence or two they repeat constantly and I think it kind of gives the character a bit of personality. But also the sex scenes feel like it's just a single scene in repeat mode. Exact same sentences to describe Ana's feelings, exactly the same words to describe the situations. Every time you read a new one it feels as if you have already read it. Also the vocabulary used is quite simple and the grammar is just correct. Overall, I would say E.L. James' writing style is really poor.

Nevertheless, this did not keep the author from doing quite an impressive job in the development of the main male character, Christian Grey (of course, given the circumstances of poor writing). Throughout the trilogy you realize how you do know much more about this strange character, and you are even able to perceive quite a change in his personality the more he spends time with Ana. I was quite impressed by this aspect of the books.

Overall, I have to conclude that these books are definitely not the best ones I've read, and I believe they do not deserve all the fuss that is being done around them; however, because they have that special thing that makes the reader want to keep wanting to read, I will give them a 2 out of 5 stars. I honestly cannot understand how most of the people who rated the series on this platform gave it a 5 out of 5 stars...

This does not mean, of course, that you should not give them a try! A book doesn't have to be the best one for someone to like them! And... aren't you a bit curious? ;)

Happy reading and thank you all so much for your support!


wonderful literature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comment!