Wednesday 29 July 2015

Bird Box by Josh Malerman


Hello everyone! Today I bring to you my thoughts about a book unlike any I have read before. Bird Box is classified as a Horror Book in webpages, but I wouldn't say it's one of the most scary ones - not that I have read many horror novels. It really impressed me because it is completely different from what I am used to reading. I am not going to write any synopsis because I didn't read any before getting myself into this wonderful book, so I'd recommend that you do the same. I will write something for you, though - the little text that made me buy it in that bookstore:

If you've seen what's out there... it's already too late.


Most people dismissed the reports on the news. 
But they became too frequent; they became too real. 
And soon it was happening to people we knew. 
Then the Internet died. 
The televisions and radios went silent. 
The phones stopped ringing 
And we couldn't look outside anymore.

This and, let's be honest, the awesome paperback cover of the edition I bought made me not think twice about buying this book, and it definitely did not let me down. 


The story is absorbing, and the characters are very interesting. You keep wanting to know where it is the writer is trying to go, and WHAT IS HAPPENING. I think Malerman did a very good job keeping the suspense, but it really killed me... Also, the story itself is very, very original.


The characters are interesting, and it seems as if every one of them has a specific role in the story. There are no characters just standing in the background. Very well done!

I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars (4 stars on Goodreads), and the only factor that took away that one half star is that it lacked that special factor that kind of forces you to not close the book until you get to the very end - even though, as I said, the story did keep me reading. Also, I found it a bit slow at times. Other than that, I really did enjoy it. 
I would definitely recommend this book to book lovers in general. It's easy to read and the story is very refreshing.



Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Cova!

    It is kind of scary how much I depend on technology! There is a dystopian quality to this cover and synopsis that would make me want to pick it up, too!

    Lonna @ FLYLÄ“F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lonna! Please do, and tell me what you think!

      Delete

I'd love to read your comment!