Sunday 20 March 2016

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles 2) - Marissa Meyer


Hello once again! This post will be about the second novel to The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. The first novel of the series -Cinder- already has a review on the blog, which you can find here

As you may know, I am taking part in two challenges at the moment: 2016 Finishing the Series Challenge and the 2016 Audiobook Challenge, and Scarlet qualifies for both! I did listen to this novel in audiobook, and The Lunar Chronicles is one of the series I am aiming to finish by the end of the year :) yay!

"Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."(Goodreads)



As you may have noticed, Meyer brings a new character to the series, with a whole new story behind her. The same way Cinder was inspired by the classic tale Cinderella, Scarlet was inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, which I found quite funny because of the brilliant of the idea. Not only one amazing tale, but two!

The book starts off a bit low, may I say. The two stories are narrated alternatively - first completely independent from one another, until they merge in a brilliantly smooth fashion. That got me quite impressed! However, I did not like the fact that there is a lot more narration about Scarlet than about Cinder at the beginning of the book. We came to read the second book precisely because we liked the first one, so why start strong with a whole new story when your readers a looking for something else? I kept wanting to skip Scarlet's part and go to Cinder's just to know what was happening to her... 

Regardless, when you go a bit further into the story that is not an issue anymore, so all good! And from there on, it is all great! The characters are interesting, and there are small plot twists that I did not expect coming. Very nicely done! 

About the audiobook, I guess after having listened to the amazing audiobook for Thirteen Reasons Why I was a bit disappointed at first that this one didn't have more than one voice. I got over it fast enough though, and I found very funny how the narrator changed her accent depending on whose dialogue she was reading. I guess with audiobooks you just have to learn that the characters might not be the way the voice is making them look like - it is just the way they see them themselves. Accept that, and enjoy the audiobook ;) Overall, I really enjoyed listening to this book. 4 out of 5 points for it :)

Because I really enjoying this novel, I think it deserves a 4 out of 5 stars. If Cinder didn't really convince you, please try Scarlet regardless! Overall, I liked Scarlet much more than Cinder.
Let me know in the comments what you thought of Scarlet or The Lunar Chronicles :)

Happy reading!



If you'd like to try this audiobook or any other one for free, you can follow the link below and get two free audiobooks plus 30% off any other audiobook you may like - a month's Audible membership trial, all free of charge and you can cancel at any time! I'll get a small something is you use my link :)


If you liked this book you might also like...







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comment!