Sunday 10 January 2016

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher


Thirteen Reasons Why is a Young Adult, fiction novel which tells us the story about a guy, Clay Jensen, who randomly receives a box with his name on it in which he finds seven double-sided tapes recorded by his deceased friend Hannah Baker, explaining the 13 reasons why she decided to commit suicide. Only those people who made the list will ever listen to the tapes, which leaves us with one single question - what did Clay do to be in the list?

I found this book absolutely refreshing. The story is just so original and creative, and the flow of the story is very good. This is the first book I ever decided to listen to on audiobook, and I think I made such a good choice! I wasn't really sure about listening to something you are meant to read, but if you ever think about trying it out, this book definitely is the right one to do so because the story is mainly the tapes of Hannah Baker explaining her story, so I literally felt as if I was listening to the tapes. Moreover this audiobook has two different voices - a male one for the part narrated by Clay and a female one for Hannah Baker's tapes, which I think is a brilliant idea. The audiobook definitely got a 5/5 from me. If you ever have the chance, please try it out. 
About the writing, it is just correct and straight forward - just as a teenager would speak. And the characters -specially the protagonists- are surely intriguing. The only thing I found maybe a bit overdone is that sometimes Clay's responses to Hannah's tapes were a bit over the top. But then again, I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a friend just like that... I just think the transitions could have been a bit smoother. 

The main characters are strong and generally well developed - especially Hannah, and I really enjoyed the novel overall. It is fast-paced and certainly entertaining. It gets a 4.5 out of 5 from me!
Happy reading!



If you'd like to try this audiobook or any other one for free, you can follow the link below and get two free audiobooks plus 30% off any other audiobook you may like - a month's Audible membership trial, all free of charge and you can cancel at any time! I'll get a small something if you use my link :)




If you liked this book, you might also like...

Sway

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comment!