Tuesday 17 January 2017

Cova Reviews | The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #3) - Michelle Hodkin


Hey there! Today I am going to review for you book number three in the Mara Dyer trilogy by Michelle Hodkin - The Retribution of Mara Dyer. If you haven't read the first two books, I recommend you read their reviews first, even though this will be a non-spoiler review regarding all three books in the series. You can find the review of the first book here, and the second here.

This book I listened to on audiobook, therefore it added up to the list of books I listened to for my 2016 Audiobook Challenge, in which I ended up doing pretty good! :D I think once again Christy Romano did a very good job narrating this book -her interpretation of Mara is pretty good. However, once more, I didn't at all like the accent with which she tries to sound like British Noah - as I said in the review for The Evolution of Mara Dyer, that makes him sound really fake and not at all like I imagined when I read the first book of the series (which I didn't listen to on audiobook). Other than that, her way of reading is perfect for the different scenes and I really enjoyed listening to the book over all :D


About the story, let me please just say it goes CRAZY in the third book (it already does in the second one, but the thirds is just an OMG!). You wouldn't imagine it takes this turn after reading the first book. Not even the reader knows what to believe about what is happening anymore! And I REALLY liked that. It's not often that you are deceived that way with a book, and it's something I really appreciated. 

This book in particular talks a lot about morals -what is right and what is wrong, and it focuses on the different perspectives from which something may be good or bad depending on the situation. Mara is put in lots of situations in which she has to make important decisions not only to herself, but to others, which is definitely hard. She has this newly found ability which she knows very little about, but is an important part of her persona now. Everything is so different, so recent and so powerful that ends up being overwhelming. I really liked that I could see Mara's development from the first book through the third. About the other characters, there are not many new characters in The Retribution of Mara Dyer, but particular ones from the previous books are further developed and get a new, renovated importance in the story.

I really enjoyed this book, and I absolutely recommend you (1) picking up the first book of the series (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer) if you are a fan of YA, paranormal and/or mental health topics, and (2) actually finishing the series -which you'll just want to do once you start, really 😎. I was really impressed with the twits and turns in all three novels, and I think the story is very unique, with a very interesting primary topic -mental health. I found fascinating to read about it from the character's own point of view -the way no-one believes her when she thinks she is telling the truth and how it gets to a point in which she even doubts herself. Mental health is really an important subject we should definitely read more about, and try and do something to stop the stigma, because it does absolutely no good. 

So over all, I loved this book (and the whole series, now that we're at it! :P), and I ended up giving it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.


I would really like it if you could tell me any other books on mental health that you've enjoyed, because (if you can't already tell) I'm fascinated by it! Leave me a comment down below if you do :)



Happy reading!



If you'd like to try this audiobook or any other one for free, you can follow the link below and get two free audiobooks plus 30% off any other audiobook you may like - a month's Audible membership trial, all free of charge and you can cancel at any time! I'll get a small something is you use my link :)

If you liked this book, you might also like...





Follow WL and don't miss out on any post! :D


Google+     Bloglovin'    Goodreads    Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your comment!